If vaping offers a 95% risk reduction, what are the remaining 5%? Leave a comment

It is still difficult to answer this question precisely, but the vapor of an electronic cigarette may contain at generally very low levels, compounds deemed harmful to health. Some studies try to identify volatile organic compounds (VOC) in vapor. The most cited in the scientific works are from the aldehydes family. We often talk in the case of the electronic cigarette traces of formaldehyde, acrolein and acetaldehyde.

Vapor of an electronic cigarette may contain traces of volatile organic compounds (VOC) that are hazardous to health.

The concentration levels of these compounds are very much lower than those included in cigarette smoke, which are number of thousands. On the other hand, strong variations can be observed depending on the apparatus configuration such as its power, its hydration in e-liquid or its frequency of use.

It’s very important to check that the e-cigarette is correctly fed with e-liquid.

In order to minimize possible production of volatile organic compounds in the electronic cigarette vapor, we recommend you to always ensure that the resistance of your atomizer is correctly fed with e-liquid. We also advise you to space the puffs as much as possible not to overheat your resistance. Also be sure to change your resistance regularly (at least every two weeks for daily use). Finally it is essential to keep good balance between the ohm value of your resistance and the intensity (in volt) or power (in watt) of your electronic cigarette. If your e-cigarette steam irritates your throat abnormally (apart from the normal nicotine hit) check these three points.

Consult your dealer for advice, or consult the operating instructions of your equipment for the usual values. An equivalence table is available in our article (in French only for now) on resistances (not to exceed the 4 V seems coherent).

Long-term effects will not be known for very long.

To conclude this section on the health and risks associated with the use of electronic cigarettes, there will always be a doubt about the long-term effects for the simple reason that ethically, researchers cannot ask non-smokers to vaporize and over a very long periods. Only major epidemiological studies will be able, perhaps in fifty years to answer this question. But on paper, major risks generally associated with smoking (cancer, cardiovascular or respiratory diseases) appear to be much reduced with electronic cigarette.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0

Your Cart